Saturday, September 27, 2014

An Object Lesson

Yesterday, September 26, 2014,  Ellora’s Cave Publishing, Inc., filed a defamation suit against the Dear Author Media Network, LLC, owners of the Dear Author blog. Here is a link to the filing for more information: 


What follows is not about this filing specifically. This post is about unintended consequences and object lessons.

In the United States of America, anyone can sue anyone for anything. Yes, you read that right. And please keep it in mind as you read on.

In the USA, one can say, write or otherwise make public anything about anyone. It’s called freedom of speech, and it is a right granted every American in the First Amendment of The United States Constitution. I can stand on any street corner and ramble on about any subject, and the GOVERNMENT cannot arrest or otherwise restrict my right to do so. If I decide to publish those ramblings, that is called freedom of the press, and is also a right guaranteed in the First Amendment. However, if I am rambling on about a specific individual or corporation/business, that individual and/or corporation/business has the right to bring suit for slander (if spoken) or libel (if written/published) in civil court. I have not committed a crime, per se, but I have, in the opinion of the injured party, impugned their reputation with my words.


It is a good idea for the purposes of this blog post, Dear Reader, to keep in mind that as a result of the rulings under Dartmouth College v Woodward and Citizens United v Federal Election Commission, the law in the US has afforded corporations the right of personhood. It’s complicated, but that is the nutshell version. It means that corporations have the same rights as living, breathing citizens of the US. And, yes, you read that right, too.

A blog is a personal website or page on the internet in which a person posts their opinions about various subjects on anything from individual people, events, companies, etc. The possible subject matter is endless.

This post today is dealing with the fact that a corporation is suing an individual for libel because of a blog post, e.g. an opinion piece posted on the Internet.

Now, if the author of a published article is spouting BS, it is pretty widely accepted that the author of untruths should be sued. If the plaintiff (individual or business that has been libeled) is successful, it teaches an object lesson to the defendant (the individual who committed libel).

But, what if the published matter is true and can be documented as such?

Doesn’t matter. If the subject of that publication feels they have been injured by the information in that published work, that person—or company— can sue the author of said published work. See paragraph 3 above.

In other words, if the author of a blog post is telling the truth about an individual or company and can document what they have written is the truth, they can still be sued. Again, you read that right.

This opens up a Pandora’s Box of issues that include but are not limited to the right of freedom of speech as guaranteed in the First Amendment of the United States Constitution to the right of personhood granted to corporations under Woodward and Citizens United, and how cases have been adjudicated under these rulings.

Think about that for a moment...

In addition to being a business owner and an editor, I’m a blogger. I have opinions. Some of those opinions are very strong and could prove controversial, and others wouldn’t mean squat to a housefly. But I have a guaranteed right to publish those opinions in whatever media I choose. And if I’m going to take a company to task for its behavior/business practices (don’t even get me started on the financial collapse of ’08), I had better be sure I have my facts straight and can document that every word I put out as fact can be documented as such, and that my opinions are clearly labeled and understood as such.

Does that protect me under the First Amendment? Yes. But that only means that the US Government can’t come after me for what I’ve said, written and/or published.

Does that protect me from facing a civil suit – even though i spoke the absolute, documented truth, and have witnesses to attest that what I have published is the truth? No. See paragraph 3 above.

Should I keep silent on any subject that might offend persons or companies? No.

Am I not afraid of being sued? No...and yes. No, because I refuse to be intimidated by anyone or anything. Yes, because lawyers are damned expensive and that is what the “offended” party is hoping will deter me. Ever gone to war with your medical insurance provider? If you have, then you know exactly what I mean.

So, as a blogger, I won’t shut up under the threat that someone or something will be offended by my opinion. When I say something is fact, I will have citations to prove the statement(s) is/are fact.

So what is the object lesson here?

If we as bloggers allow ourselves to be intimidated, and as a result, remain silent, what do you think will be the result?

I am not going to remain silent on any subject I want to write about—whether it be corporate bullying, Internet neutrality, books, same-sex marriage, dogs and cats living together, cellphones in restaurants and movie theaters, a company that did an outstanding (or lousy) job painting my house, or any other subject that tickles my fancy.

Injustice flourishes like the perennial wild weed because it is watered by the silence and indifference of people. Robert M. M. Alonto (2/26/2012, Philippine Daily News)


2 comments: